license of patches in cvs

maHo lukasz at mach.com.pl
Sun Jan 25 17:56:32 CET 2004

undefine at aramin.net:

>On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 05:28:51PM +0100, Mathieu Doidy wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I was wondering about the licenses of your patches in the cvs tree.
>>I found your patch for alsa (esound-alsa-pcm-newapi.patch) very useful
>>(it makes the -d dmixer works for me) and I was thinking about including
>>it in the ROCK Linux distribution (http://www.rocklinux.org/) for which
>>I am a small developer.
>>
>>I did not find anything about that in the english doc (maybe I overviewed
>>something) and the patch does not contain any header about its license.
>>

>I'm not sure, but when there is no info in a patch, patches are GPL-ed
>(http://cvs.pld-linux.org/SPECS/COPYING)
>All files on CVS/SOURCES/distfiles are distributable, so You can use it
>how You wish :)
>Many patches are taked from other distros - and have informations about
>it in cvs logs.
>When You need information from autor ask people which add this file to
>cvs:

    this is my patch. you can assume this as GPL code. hoever, I don't
know if there is legal way to release non GPL patch to GPL project. IMHO
patch to esd is derived code from esd, so has the same license as esd.

   BTW: I'have sent that patch to gnome bugzilla. IIRC they changed it a
bit(autoconf/automake stuff) and applied to their repository. So check
also their cvs.

tegards

maHo