Vim

Jan Rekorajski baggins at sith.mimuw.edu.pl
Wed Apr 27 20:30:39 CEST 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

> On Wednesday 27 of April 2005 17:49, Jan Rekorajski wrote:

> > > Enable these IMO. There is vim-static for those people who don't want
> > > additional deps.
> >
> > You don't know what you're talking about.
> I know what I'm talking.
>
> > vim-static is /bin/vi and the
> > first thing I do is alias vi=vim because vim-static is just too feature
> > poor.
> And tell us what are these so important features that you can't live without
> them but _not_ so important as you don't want to install more deps to get
> these?

It's just the way vi behaves, if I wanted it like that I wouldn't be
using vim.

> And remember that running vim-static as vi is different from running
> exactly the same binary as for example vim.

I know this, but...

[baggins at home baggins]$ rpm -ql vim-static | grep vim
[baggins at home baggins]$

Where do you see vim here?

> > I can live with perl but python/ruby/tcl/etc is just an overkill.
> perl isn't?

perl is common enough, a lot of things require it. Python and tcl? I install
them if I have no choice. Ruby? WTF is ruby?

> > If you really want a huge monster with all bells and whistles just do a
> > vim-this-package-requires-a-lot subpackage :/
> If you have small hdd then use vim-static.

It's not the case of small hdd. It's the case that for purely marketing
reasons you want to clutter the distribution.

Janek
--
Jan Rękorajski            |  ALL SUSPECTS ARE GUILTY. PERIOD!
baggins<at>mimuw.edu.pl   |  OTHERWISE THEY WOULDN'T BE SUSPECTS, WOULD THEY?