ANN: Closing AC

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Mon Dec 12 23:35:32 CET 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 05:56:56PM +0100, Marcin Król wrote:
> > But think about "big transitions", such as gcc - when most of
> > C++/Fortran/Ada/GCJ-based Java stuff must be rebuilt. And many programs
> > appear broken, so they wouldn't exist in distro even for few months.
>
> All those programs will not exist, but just in devel tree on ftp. They
> however will still exist in stable tree. After doing all necessary fixes
> and rebuilding all necessary packages (no matter how long it will take)
> stuff from devel tree (after tests of course) will be moved to stable tree.

Well... we can see Ac as such development tree for gcc/glibc transition
after Ra. Ac hasn't been released yet not because it was too early to
release something new, but because it was never considered complete...

BTW, does Ac have all packages that Ra did or proper set of Obsoletes
now?

> What should be different in this approach from releasing the new X
> version of PLD? After moving packages from devel to stable tree, poldek
> --upgrade-dist should do the job or if it can't it should inform
> administrator that his attention is required before performing an
> upgrade.

Ra->Ac isn't too hard on simple configurations...
Just a few transitions ;)

> Of course, separate builders will be required for both stable
> and devel trees, but we already have them, haven't we?

With 2 sets of builders, when some new transition occur before some
older is complete - they cumulate, and require more time.
And later require more admin attention when performing upgrade.
Effect could be just like waiting for Ac after Ra release...

[...]
> I'm OK with releasing new version of PLD with each milestone like gcc or
> glibc if 'poldek --upgrade-dist' will be the only tool needed for
> upgrade. And if poldek will be unable to perform upgrade it should
> inform me about it ie "I'm unable to perfrom upgrade-dist because of
> incompatibility between postgresql 8.0 and 8.1" or "I'm unable to
> perform upgrade: kernel24 has been removed from distribution because of
> glibc >= 2.4". That would be very nice :)

"Your architecture disappeared. You don't exist, go away." ;)

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.cs.net.pl/