[patch] metamail and apache-mod_auth_pam

Marcin Król hawk at limanowa.net
Sat Sep 9 20:48:53 CEST 2006

> But my error_log is now filled with these error messages:
>
> [error] Internal error: pcfg_openfile() called with NULL filename
> [error] [client 192.168.253.32] (9)Bad file descriptor: Could not open
> password file: (null), referer: http://pldmachine/what/
>
> Don't you get these errors ?

Yes, I get them too. However these entries are not problematic for me.
I'm just filtering them out from logs if I need to.

They're there because previously mentioned "AuthBasicAuthoritative off".
Since basic auth isn't authoritative apache falls back and is trying
other authentication methods. I read about this somewhere on apaches web
site, but I don't remember where exactly. It was few months ago. I'm
however sure that you'll get those errors for every authentication
module if it will not be authoritative, not only for pam module. I even
recollect some discussion I found through google about eliminating those
warnings from logs in case of unauthoritative authentication modules.

M.