gdm 2.24.0

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Mon Oct 13 13:54:19 CEST 2008

2008/10/13 Radoslaw Zielinski <radek at pld-linux.org>:
> Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> [13-10-2008 12:34]:
>> It does work
> A statement...

Want a screenshot? I have 3 machines running it at the moment.

>> - our SystemV starts mingetty after X and tty1 steals keyboard input
>> (Xorg takes the first free vte upon start, this is not a gdm problem).
> ...and an explanation why this statement is false.  Sorry, unless it
> allows me to log in, I don't consider it working.

PLD rc is broken, not gdm.

>> Possible solutions:
>
>> - install upstart-SystemV which brings ttys up before X - that's what
>> most distros do
> Conflicts: SysVinit then?

R: upstart-SystemV

Conflicts would prevent both.

>> - move gdm startup to /etc/inittab - that's what the rest of the distros do
> R: rc-scripts-V-R ?

This can't be done in PLD unless we replace gdm-init with some sort of
a configurable *dm chooser that we add to inittab which is not likely.

>> - force Xorg to use a certain tty (there used to be a hack in GDM 2.20
>> for this as at this time Xorg did not have vte detection of its own,
>> now detection is the recommended way to start Xorg as it allows one to
>> have unlimited Xorg instances on one machine)
> How?

Don't ask me, we use a pretty non-standard and not-recommended method
to start gdm.

>>> 2) it's not finished, according to http://live.gnome.org/GDM
>> Wrong, I'm a GNOME dev and can assure you it's part of GNOME 2.24 release.
> Ah.  gdmsetup is no more?  No word about it in ChangeLog nor in the
> release notes...

It's a new app written from scratch. A more correct statement would be
"everything is no more."

>>> Please keep the HEAD in a working state...  It's actually being *used*.
>> See above. Please move it back to HEAD.
> Please feel free to do it yourself, after making sure it works (with
> Conflicts/Requires where necessary).

Will do.

--
Patryk Zawadzki