CONFIG_DEVTMPFS

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Thu Dec 17 09:40:32 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Michael Shigorin <mike at osdn.org.ua> wrote:
> JFYI, I've done dev-minimal package in ALT Linux
> hoping to use it for this very reason: some bare /dev
> in case modern stuff fails again.
>
> Unfortunately didn't get around to integrating it to distros
> (hmm... maybe today is the day? ;-), only installed by hand
> on a few systems.

We have udev package providing the minimum required to launch shells
(/dev/zero, /dev/console etc.). It's all nice but still requires
initramfs to create its own device nodes. In case of DEVTMPFS you
don't have to do anything at boot time, just chmod the nodes after
switch_root (or let udev rules do it) :)

--
Patryk Zawadzki