New systemd

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Thu Jul 3 11:01:30 CEST 2014

On 03/07/14 10:30, Jan Rękorajski wrote:
>> networkd probably should not be enabled by default if the network is
>> already configured PLD-way, but otherwise it is good to have it.
>> I think it could be a good idea to use it by default when there is no
>> other network configuration. There is a change it will 'just work' in
>> the most common scenarios. We cannot provide this with our rc-scripts.
>
> That's some solution, but consider new install, where networkd will be
> enabled and then admin wants to make some changes to the NIC setup only
> to find out it doesn't work. We need a simple way for networkd to
> disable itself or our network scripts to disable it when needed.

I guess networkd has some facilities for interaction with NetworkManager
(one should probably disable the other), maybe that could be reused for
rc-scripts too. Our 'ifup', when used with our ifcfg file could just
tell networkd 'ignore this interface from now on' or something. When
there is no ifcfg file, then ifup/ifdown could be just another interface
to networkd.

> Or we could just enable networkd by default on new/unconfigured installs
> and put a big information-warning in our scripts what to do when someone
> wants to use them instead of networkd.

That is the easy way and the solution I had initially in mind.

Greets,
	Jacek