TOTALNEW (fwd)

Paweł Sakowski pawel w sakowski.eu.org
Pon, 23 Paź 2000, 18:42:42 CEST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 07:59:36 +0200
From: Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <misiek w pld.org.pl>
To: Paweł Sakowski <pawel w sakowski.eu.org>
Subject: Re: TOTALNEW

On/Dnia Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 11:24:42PM +0200, Paweł Sakowski wrote/napisał(a)
> Co to jest za branch TOTALNEW (skąd on jest, co w nim jest, czy jest to
> zabawka, czy przyszła wersja oficjalna)?
To jest moja wizja rc-scripts ;-) Czy się stanie wersją oficjalną pokaże czas.
Lista zmian:

- modified devfsd support (removed obsolete option - $RUN_DEVFSD)
- removed setting for all kernel parameters via echo > /proc
  (use /etc/sysctl.conf for these now)
- fsck won't show progress bar if COLOR_INIT=no
- support for raidadd && raidrun if others failed
- show which RAID device we are starting
- support for LVM volume groups
- small changes in functions
- removed rdisc support
- show which network device we are starting
- new ifcfg-* configuration format for IP addresses
  (old scheme no more supported)
- IPv6 support in ppp and slip !
- new usepeerdns option in ppp
- support for few dhcp clients (dhcpcd, dhclient, dhcpxd, pump)
- ability to use iproute2 when net-tools are missing to
  set static ARP table (based on /etc/ethers)
- changed ifup-ipx to support multiple IPX frame types (again)
- modified modules checking method (ipv6.o, ipx.o, ipip.o)
- new functions log_success() and log_failed() to log via initlog
- delete queueing discipline on interface shutdown
TOTALNEW-1 RELEASED
- new variable -> IPV4_NETWORKING=yes|no. IPv4 and IPv6 treated
  in the same way.
- GATEWAY6 and IPV6_GLOBALROUTEGW also used by ifup-{ppp,sl}
- IPv6 boot method (BOOTMETHOD6={none|dhcp6|v4compat}). At this
  moment only v4compat with automatic tunnels supported.
- don't load ipip.o module if IPV6_TUNNELCONFIG=yes (ipip is for
  IPv4 in IPv4 tunneling while ipv6.o already contains support
  for IPv6 in IPv4 tunneling)
- cleanups in tnlup && tnldown (use case instead of few if else)
- cleanups in tnlcfg-description and tnlcfg-icm
- fixed totally broken is_yes() and is_no(). In bloody shell programing
  0 (zero) means true - see 'true; RESULT=$?; echo $RESULT'. Also
  is_no() always return logical negation of value returned by is_yes().
- avoid errors from accton when kernel doesn't support BSD accounting
- umount all network filesystems in network script (this is last
  time to do this)
- fix network checking in template.init
- always check primary IP addresses in ifup-aliases. Reported by waszi.
TOTALNEW-2 RELEASED
- new function is_module() to check if module is available and not
  loaded, yet. Supports old and new directory scheme in /lib/modules/x.x.x/.
- in rc.shutdown remount to read-only ext3 and reiserfs filesystems, too.
- lang.csh synced with lang.sh
- ability to skip hdparm optimizations via linux commandline
- rewrited nls(). Two options supported: -n (no new line) and
  --nls-domain.
- daemon() recognize --check (for rh/mandrake compatibility; ignore it)
  and --user (change euid via su before service is executed).
- read DEVELOPMENT for coding directives. Current code updated to follow
  that file.
- load ppp modules when we have kernel with devfs enabled (without this
  pppd fails)
- makepot.pl now recognize $(nls ""), progress "" and '' brackets instead of "".
  Include sysconfig/network-scripts/* to SHSCRIPTS in configure.in.
  Also pl.po updated.
TOTALNEW-3 RELEASED
- added four tunnel support (four by SuSE Labs; requires kernel module)
- removed partial IPX tunnel support. Use ipxtund for that.
TOTALNEW-3a RELEASED
- you can now specify interface for tleds software in sysconfig/network.
- fixed dhcpcd support and tnl* scripts. Reported by waszi.
TOTALNEW-3b RELEASED (2 Sat Sep 2000)
- added settings for vim editor in scripts
- set HOME and TMPDIR variables to "/tmp" in daemon() and in run_cmd().
  This will fix all problems caused by /etc/profile.d/tmp-dir.*.
- set arp and multicast for dhcp controlled devices, too.
- partial documentation update
- bridge (ifcfg-brX) configuration support using bridge-utils package.
- run_cmd() supports -a parameter for displaing messages from command
  even if command was successfully finished
- we no longer need sed !
TOTALNEW-3c RELEASED (12 Mon Sep 2000)
- /etc/modules support. Idea by MandrakeSoft. Usefull for
  people using devfs.
- lec* and atm* interfaces are always arpable.
- ATM support merged. Need testing.
- introduced setup_ip_gw_ro() for setting default gw and routes
TOTALNEW 3d released (24 Sep 2000)

> --
> 	Paweł Sakowski <pawel w sakowski.eu.org>
> 	PGP ID: 0xA95391BD

ps. pisze prywatnie a nie na liste bo ser cos psuje w konfiguracji
i aktualnie nie moge nic na liste slac. Jesli mozesz to bouncnij
na pld-rc-scripts@

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz         http://www.misiek.eu.org/ipv6/
PLD GNU/Linux [IPv6 enabled]    http://www.pld.org.pl/