comment on poldek/PLD mirrors

John P. Looney john at antefacto.com
Mon Apr 8 17:46:07 CEST 2002

 I was just wondering...

 I tried to install ImageMagick through poldek, and my indexes thought
that 5.4.3 were the most recent version, and when I tried to install, I
was told the files didn't exist.

 So, I ran;

 poldek --update-whole

 and it downloaded the new indexes, which contained references to 5.4.4!

 However, it took a while. Would it make sense to try and use 'rsync' to
download the new indexes, instead of FTP ? It can make a big difference.
It may even be possible to sync the indexes every time poldek is started,
as the downloads, and checks, would be quite fast. I suppose it would mean
that poldek mirrors would feel obliged to run rsync though...

 I also played with gcc3 from the 'nest' set of RPMs. As I do a lot of RPM
building, I needed rpm-4.0.4 and some other packages from 'ra'. I couldn't
compile some other packages, and went back to the gcc-2.9.5.4, and the
rpm-4.0.2 from 'ra'. Unfortunatly, the upgrade seemed to corrupt my RPM
database. Everything works fine (mostly). When I erase or add an RPM, I
get;

rpmdb: Bad page number: 751 should be 1239
error: db4 error(-30979) from db->verify: DB_VERIFY_BAD: Database verification failed
rpmdb: Bad page number: 2293 should be 2289
error: db4 error(-30979) from db->verify: DB_VERIFY_BAD: Database verification failed

 Is there anything I can do ?

 What do 'ra' and 'nest' mean ?

John