make menuconfig doesn't work (?)

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 10:46:08 CET 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 10:31:48 +0100, Grzegorz Konopko <kolodko1 at o2.pl> wrote:
> Dnia wtorek, 2 listopada 2004 01:08, Henry Gilbert napisał:
>

> > I've downloaded the source
> > and the tools necessary to recompile the kernel
> > that would be a way to get sound back
> >
> > but on typing make mrproper
> > make menuconfig I get a lot of errors
> >
> > ending up with
> > make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
> > make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
> >
> > I was wondering what you guys do to compile the kernel
> >
> > pls help.
> >

> Why you recompile kernel?
>
> #poldek -i kernel-sound-alsa alsa-utils-init
>
> #cat /etc/modules.conf
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
>
> (you can also OSS/Free portion:
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
>  )
>
> # generate-modprobe.conf >/etc/modprobe.conf
>
> It's all what you need.

sorry Grzegorz
but i will *need* to recompile the kernel sooner or later:

I work with :
win4lin and Vmware

and both require kernel recompilation
in the case of vmware it creates modules - no recompilation require

vmware as it stands is generating error when i run
vmware-config.pl

most likely due to kernel unfriendly to compile.

vmware
win4lin
nvidia
and evolution-1.4

are the most important thing for me for a distro
i like PLD i dont want to give up
but i also need those above for my job also

--
Now you can get AriZona Drinks in the UK
http://www.arizona.uk.com/shop.asp