Question about latest release iso

Caleb Maclennan caleb at pld-linux.org
Mon Oct 18 09:45:07 CEST 2010

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 02:08, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, there has been no new full release since PLD 2 in  2007??

JD,

I know you have been answered but I thought it might be useful to step
in here and note a few of the things that makes PLD-Linux distinct.
Some things don't work quite like other distros.

In the PLD world, when a release get's made it's almost the same and
pronouncing the time of death for that branch of development. Once a
release is cut everything goes into maintenance mode and software is
no longer upgraded except minor and security releases. This is not
quite so different than other distros, except that the effect is
somewhat more dramatic.

The other dramatic bit is that the current development trees are kept
in stable running condition at all times even during the introduction
of major new software releases. Unlike other distros that lock down
their repositories for released branches to major versions of certain
packages, the current release tree in PLD is in continuous growth. The
longer systems go between updates the higher the likelihood of having
issues to work through on upgrades, but in general both old and new
systems can be continuously upgraded to the current package set.

Installing the system is typically done with some form of boot strap.
The CRI is a good way for newbies to get in the game. I tend to use
the rescue disc and do a full manual install from start to finish.
Admittedly this is a hard way to get into a new system and limits
PLD's usage and acceptance. Someday I hope to see this change and the
install options to get easier. Meanwhile once you have a system up and
running the flexibility to constantly upgrade it to the latest
packages is a huge boon.

If you need help getting through the install process feel free to post
on here, I and others would be glad to help you out. After that we'll
try to help you get the hang of the ropes. Once you know how things
are supposed to work, I think you'll find the machinery is well oiled!

Caleb