Question about latest release iso

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 19:48:38 CEST 2010

  On 10/18/2010 12:45 AM, Caleb Maclennan wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 02:08, JD<jd1008 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> So, there has been no new full release since PLD 2 in  2007??
> JD,
>
> I know you have been answered but I thought it might be useful to step
> in here and note a few of the things that makes PLD-Linux distinct.
> Some things don't work quite like other distros.
>
> In the PLD world, when a release get's made it's almost the same and
> pronouncing the time of death for that branch of development. Once a
> release is cut everything goes into maintenance mode and software is
> no longer upgraded except minor and security releases. This is not
> quite so different than other distros, except that the effect is
> somewhat more dramatic.
>
> The other dramatic bit is that the current development trees are kept
> in stable running condition at all times even during the introduction
> of major new software releases. Unlike other distros that lock down
> their repositories for released branches to major versions of certain
> packages, the current release tree in PLD is in continuous growth. The
> longer systems go between updates the higher the likelihood of having
> issues to work through on upgrades, but in general both old and new
> systems can be continuously upgraded to the current package set.
>
> Installing the system is typically done with some form of boot strap.
> The CRI is a good way for newbies to get in the game. I tend to use
> the rescue disc and do a full manual install from start to finish.
> Admittedly this is a hard way to get into a new system and limits
> PLD's usage and acceptance. Someday I hope to see this change and the
> install options to get easier. Meanwhile once you have a system up and
> running the flexibility to constantly upgrade it to the latest
> packages is a huge boon.
>
> If you need help getting through the install process feel free to post
> on here, I and others would be glad to help you out. After that we'll
> try to help you get the hang of the ropes. Once you know how things
> are supposed to work, I think you'll find the machinery is well oiled!
>
> Caleb

Thank you Caleb.
That is a very nice heads-up info.
So, you are effectively saying that PLD-1 still gets
maintenance updates? It is indeed good to know.
It means there is not such thing as EOL date for
any PLD release. Right?

I have not installed it yet. I have downloaded the live 3 'Th' iso.
I was looking for the DVD iso, but I have not found it.
I was wondering about a way to to install as many of the packages
as I have on the other Linux installation (F13). I am not sure if that
can be done after I have installed live iso to hard drive. I have had
to look in other distros to find packages not available in Fedora. I had
to do same for FreeBSD. This is understandable since it is not possible
for any distro to provide every free package in existence.
Some minor issues I have had when finding a source rpm from another
distro, is that they use rpmbuild macros that are not supported by
whatever other version of Linux I was trying to build it on. So I have
had to munge the spec file in order to get somewhere. Notorious for
this are Mandriva and SUSE. I am sure I will not be able to escape this
even in PLD. :) :)

Cheers,

JD