Setting up (WAS Re: Test, is this list active?)

Jonathan Wilson wilson at claborn.net
Tue Jul 10 19:26:28 CEST 2001

At 09:08 AM 7/10/2001 +0200, you wrote:

>I can't find any unencrypted passwords with strings, so i guess they're
>encrypted ;)
>

>You have to use usernames like user at domain.com to logon.
>
>Gtz
>Ward Wouts

OK, I guess I was pretty unclear about my questions. Maybe a longer story will help:

Right now I have several virtually hosted email domains already set up on one of my servers, using postfix and gnu-pop3d (with the virtual user patch applied). Gnu-POP3d is not performing good enough, and I understand it's not fully pop3 protocol compliant, some userland mail apps complain about it, and since it doesn't support the UIDL command, Kmail and Athera can't properly deal with interval don't-delete-from-server mail checking. So it was suggested that I either use SolidPOP, teapop or vpopd. Solid pop looks like the best so far. So what I"m trying to do here is replace gun-pop3d with solid pop WITHOUT disturbing my current system (I can't, it would upset our clients)

The way it's set up is as follows:

First note, in case it makes any difference (I don't think so, but maybe) the servers are all SuSE 7.1

For system users, gnu-pop3d uses PAM (as I see SolidPOP does), and gets their mail out of /var/mail/<spool_filed_named_"username">, which is of course where postfix delivers as per the FHS.

Now, for virtual users, we have postfix set to deliver to local spool files as follows:

/var/spool/virtual/<directory_named_"domain.tld" [1]>/<spool_filed_named_"username" [2]>
For Example:
        /var/spool/virtual/centexit.com/jw
        /var/spool/virtual/centexit.com/fred
        /var/spool/virtual/myotherdomain.com/jw
        /var/spool/virtual/myotherdomain.com/fred

Note that there can be a user with the exact same name in each domain.

The reason we're using this particular spool set up is that that's how gnu-pop3d wants it, i.e. when I  my mail application logs in as jw:centexit.com it's going to look in /var/spool/virtual/centexit.com/ for a spool files named "jw".

So question #1 is, will solid pop also look in /var/spool/virtual/domain.tld, or do I need to use a different setup? Please keep in mind that I really must not disturb the mail system!

How for the second questions: the username/password files. For gnu-pop3d we put a file named passwd, one per domain, in /etc/virtual/<domain.tld>. For example:

        /etc/virtual/centexit.com/passwd
        /etc/virtual/myotherdomain.net/passwd

The contents of the passwd files are simple username:encrypted_password like so:

# cat /etc/virtual/centexit.com/passwd
jw:0PI7zfzU8I9cU
henry:Od5ODZaK1XGHI
fred:K13KJ9x21KEj6

I use Apache's htpasswd to make do the encryption (I guess that's "Standard UNIX crypt()", right?

This is the thing I'm most unclear about. For NON-IP based domains, how do I set up the passwords for SolidPOP to use, and can I still use htpasswd to encrypt them (are they encrypted at all for SolidPOP)?

Answers to these Qs would be most appreciated :-)

Again, it's very important that I not wreak up our current system

Thanks!

[1] there is one of these directories for every domain name that we "virtually" host. in our case we currently run virtual hosting about 10 domains
[2] the files are simply named user_name, just like system spool are.

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Cedar Creek Software     http://www.cedarcreeksoftware.com
Central Texas IT     http://www.centraltexasit.com