Setting up (WAS Re: Test, is this list active?)

Jonathan Wilson wilson at claborn.net
Tue Jul 10 23:44:32 CEST 2001

At 11:17 PM 7/10/2001 +0200, you wrote:

>> Already created a user "spop3d", I assume that will do :-)
>
>I have no idea if that will work. That's not what I understood from
>VIRTUALS. If it works I'd love to hear it.

Dunno.

What exactly *is* the username that goes next to DpUIDUser ? I don't quite understand what it's for, and if I need it or not

>PS I'd didn't sent my last message to the list cause it's doesn't like
>my emails (I think it checks the return-path instead of from addres
>or something). Maybe it's a bit clearer for the rest if you forward it ;)

K, well I"m forwarding only the relevant parts, so that I won't get flamed for postings that are full of extras :-)

I'm still not clear what I need in my config file, or how to make the data base. Right now the config file looks like this:

<Global>
        ChangeGID       yes
        AutoLogoutTime  10m
</Global>

<VirtualHost mail2.servicemail123.com>
        DoMapping       yes
        PreAuthMap      f1-%s
        MailDropName    /var/spool/virtual/mail2.servicemail123.com/%s
        MailDropType    mailbox
        DpUIDEnable     yes
        DpUIDUser       spop3d
        DpUIDDBFile     /etc/virtual/mail3.servicemail123.com
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost mail3.servicemail123.com>
        DoMapping       yes
        PreAuthMap      f1-%s
        MailDropName    /var/spool/virtual/mail3.servicemail123.com/%s
        MailDropType    mailbox
</VirtualHost>

Now, it looks like I make one db per virtual domain, am I correct?
The following confuses me (from the spdbm man page):

        ...are read from standard input in  following format:

       username:password:apop_secret:sasl_secret:mail­
       drop_name:maildrop_type

       if spdbm works in domain-per-uid mode or:

       username:mapname

       if spdbm works in mapping mode. Each entry  should  be  in
       separate line.

I don't understand how the modes are set?

Also I'm apparently doing the wrong thing with spdbm. I tried the following command:spdbm -cf /etc/virtual/mail2.servicemail123.com/mail2.servicemail123.com

But It just echos "Solid POP3 database management utility" to the console and sits there. I perceive it wants me to type something in (maybe the pasword?) but when I do I get this response:

test
missing separator in line: test

So I tried adding a username:

spdbm -cf /etc/virtual/mail2.servicemail123.com/mail2.servicemail123.com jw

And it I get "command line error: mapname not specified". What does the mapname need to be? jw at mail2.servicemail123.com ?

Thanks again.

>Gtz
>Ward